Log splitters solve this dilemma, allowing you to split cords of soft and hardwoods in record time, but which log splitter is right for you? After putting several to the test, we have the rundown on the best log splitters and wood splitters being made today!
Best Log Splitters / Wood Splitter 2018
- Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter, 7-Ton
- Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe Hydraulic Log Splitter, 10 Tonr
- Champion Power Equipment 90720 Compact Portable Log Splitter, 7 Ton
- Champion Power Equipment 100251 Full Beam Towable Log Splitter, 25 Ton
- Dirty Hand Tools 100450, 22 Ton Horizontal/Vertical 3-point Hitch Log Splitter
- Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 Gas Powered Log Splitter, 25 Ton
- YARDMAX YS0552 Electric Log Splitter, Stand, Log Tray, 5 Ton
- Titan Towable Hydraulic Deluxe Log Wood Splitter with Log Lift, 37 Ton
- Boss Industrial GD16T21 Gasoline Dual Action Log Splitter, 16 Ton
- Goplus New 1500W Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter Wood Portable Cutter Powerful, 6 Ton
Best Log Splitters / Wood Splitter 2018 Comparison
|Name||Dimensions, inch||Weight, lbs||Powerful/ Splitting force, Hp/tonn||Recommended Log Capacity, inch||Split Cycle, second|
|Boss Industrial ES7T20 Log Splitter||20,5х13,5х 40 ||106||2 / 7||10.5"-diameter/ 20.5"-length||10||Check Price|
|Sun Joe LJ10M Log Splitter||11.8x8.1x41.1 ||87||No / 10||8"-diameter/ 18"-length||30||Check Price|
|Champion Power Equipment 90720 Log Splitter||19.5x14x44.7||143||2 / 7||10"-diameter/ 19.3"-length||20||Check Price|
|Champion Power Equipment 100251 Log Splitter||19.1x28.3x71.3||430||7 / 25||23.8"-length||12||Check Price|
|Dirty Hand Tools 100450, 22 Ton||38 x 49 x 89||595||6.5 / 22||36"-diameter/ 24"-length||10.9||Check Price|
|Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 Log Splitter||29.1х18.7х75 ||473.6||6.5 / 25||19.3"-diameter/ 26"-length||17||Check Price|
|YARDMAX YS0552 Log Splitter||8x5x40||100||2 / 5||10"-diameter/ 20.5"-length||16||Check Price|
|Titan Deluxe Log Wood Splitter||81.5x45x107.5||950||15 / 37||24"-diameter/ 30"-length||10||Check Price|
|Boss Industrial GD16T21 Log Splitter||38x40.5x71.5||310||6.5 / 16||20.5"-length||7 second per split||Check Price|
|Goplus New 1500W Log Splitter||20.4х12х37||103.8||2 / 6||9.8"-diameter/ 20.4"-length||15||Check Price|
Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter, 7-Ton – Best Electric Log Splitter / Wood Splitter Value on the Market Under $500
As far as electric best log splitters go, the Boss Industrial ES7T20 7-Ton Electric Log Splitter is one of the best in its class. With seven tons of splitting force, a reliable two horsepower electric motor, automatic ram return, and easy one-handed operation, it will allow you to tackle nearly all home and light commercial projects.
- Ample power for splitting all types of cured wood
- Well-made yet surprisingly portable
- Automatic ram return
- Quiet operation with zero emissions
- Easy to use
- Only suitable for cured wood
Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe Hydraulic Log Splitter, 10 Ton – Best Cheap Manual Hydraulic Log / Wood Splitter for the Price 2017
The Sun Joe LJ10M Logger Joe 10-Ton Hydraulic Best Log Splitters is an affordable manual log splitter with plenty of force to split logs up to eight inches in diameter and 18 inches in length. It features a durable steel construction, a convenient log cradle to catch split wood, and a compact design for easy storage.
- Simple, straightforward design
- Requires minimal assembly
- Heavy-duty construction
- 10 tons of force
- Extremely quiet
- Great price tag
- Easier than an axe but requires a little work
- Handles could be longer for easier use
Champion Power Equipment 90720 Compact Portable Log Splitter, 7 Ton – Best Compact Gas Quality Brand Log / Wood Splitter Under $1000
Searching for a powerful gas powered bestv log splitters; that’s compact and won’t break the bank? If so, the Champion 90720 7-Ton Compact Portable Log Splitter may be for you. Featuring a low-profile design, never-flat tires, and a convenient handle, it’s as portable and compact as gas log splitters get.
- Compact and portable design
- Efficient splitting action
- Reliable engine
- Impressive cycling time
- Integrated log cradle
- Can be stored almost anywhere
- Easy to assemble
- Good value
- Takes quite a bit of hydraulic oil
- Not ideal for longer logs
Champion Power Equipment 100251 Full Beam Towable Log Splitter, 25 Ton – Best Heavy Duty Log / Wood Splitter for the Money Under $2000
The Champion 100251 25-Ton Full Beam Towable Best Log Splitters can just about do it all. Designed for heavy-duty use, it features a 224 cc Champion OHV engine, 25 tons of force, and an efficient 12-second cycle time, making it capable of splitting large logs with ease.
- Heavy-duty design
- Reliable single-pull start
- Can easily split a variety of log sizes
- Integrated log cradles and catchers for ease of use
- Great bang for the bucke
- Loves to drink hydraulic oil
Dirty Hand Tools 100450, 22 Ton Horizontal/Vertical 3-point Hitch Log Splitter, Cat. 1 and 2 Tractors – Best Log / Wood Splitter for Large Logs 22 Ton Under $1500
Powered by a 196cc 6.5-horsepower Kohler engine and featuring 22 tons of force, the Dirty Hand Tools 100450, 22 Ton Horizontal/Vertical 3-point Hitch Best Log Splitter can split all softwoods and most hardwoods with ease. The dynamic machine also has a sub-11 second cycle time and can easily flip from a horizontal to vertical splitting position with a simple pull of a pin.
- Very sturdy and well-built
- Smooth, almost effortless operation
- Can split a variety of large diameter logs
- Short cycle time for efficient splitting
- Designed for both horizontal and vertical splitting
- Convenient log cradle and catcher
- Heavy beast of a machine
- Assembly could be easier
- Hydraulic fluid not included
Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 Gas Powered Log Splitter, 25 Ton – Best Log / Wood Splitter 25 Ton Gas Powered for Long Lasting Durability
All of the best log splitters in this guide are well-made and designed to provide several seasons of splitting performance. However, the Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 25-Ton Gas Powered Log Splitter may take the cake in the durability department. Thanks to its internal oil delivery system, it provides the engine bearings with extra lubrication to promote extended engine life.
- Solid design and construction
- Long-lasting durability
- Able to cut large log sections up to 26 inches in length
- Designed for horizontal and vertical splitting
- Very maneuverable despite its heft
- Great warranty
- Slower cycle time
- Assembly can be difficult for one person
YARDMAX YS0552 Electric Log Splitter, Stand, Log Tray, 5 Ton – Best Small Budget Friendly Electric Log / Wood Splitter for Homeowner
Need a budget-friendly best log splitters with pushbutton operation for light seasonal use? The YARDMAX YS0552 5-Ton Electric Log Splitter may fit the bill. Designed to get the job done without paying too much or requiring much sweat equity, this practical 5-ton electric splitter is an ideal option for light occasional use.
- Budget-friendly price tag
- Compact and lightweight design
- Easy to maneuver and store
- Works well for smaller logs
- Lacks the force and power needed to split larger logs
- Would be nice if legs folded for easier storage
Titan Towable Hydraulic Deluxe Log Wood Splitter with Log Lift, 37 Ton – Best Commercial Log / Wood Splitter for Heavy Duty Use
The Titan Towable Hydraulic Deluxe 37-Ton Best Log Splitters w/Log Lift is by far one of the most capable, heavy-duty log splitters being sold today. Not only does it have a massive 420cc engine and a heavy-duty hydraulic system, but also utilizes a fixed blade and 37 tons of splitting force to effortlessly cut large logs into four pieces. Talk about getting the job done!
- Big powerful engine
- Excellent splitting force
- Tough, heavy-duty steel design
- Able to cut large logs into four 30-inch pieces
- Very handy log lift
- Quite heavy
- Poor assembly instructions
Boss Industrial GD16T21 Gasoline Dual Action Log Splitter, 16 Ton – Best Log / Wood Splitter Deal Ever for Efficiency and Speed
Sometimes bigger isn’t always better, and the Boss Industrial GD16T21 16-Ton Gasoline Dual-Action Log Splitter is an excellent example of this. While this 6.5-horsepower, 16-ton gas log splitter lacks the punch of some of the other gas splitters in this guide, it splits logs at record pace and allows you to get more done in less time.
- Extremely fast splitting action
- Portable, lightweight design
- Handy crack wheel stand
- One-hand operation
- Minimal space between crank handle and catch tray
- Heavy beam requires help to lift and assemble
Goplus New 1500W Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter Wood Portable Cutter Powerful, 6 Ton – Best Design Log / Wood Splitter for Light at Home Use
The Goplus 1500W 6-Ton Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter is a great choice for light at-home use. Its six tons of RAM force is capable of splitting most cured softwood logs into 20.4-inch long sections. Plus, it can be adjusted to cut anywhere from 1.9 inches to 9.8 inches in diameter.
- Compact, easy-to-use design
- Excellent portability
- Works great for smaller logs
- Zero emissions
- Perfect for light occasional use
- Not the most powerful log splitter available
- Some logs may require an extra pass
Best Log Splitters – Buyer’s Guide
What to Know Before You Buy the Best Log Splitters
A log splitter can be your best friend when winter rolls around, but picking out a quality log splitter to warm your home or provide firewood to the masses is easier said than done. As is the case with anything else, it helps to know a little about them in order to choose the best one for you and your needs.
How Best Log Splitters Work
Unlike old fashioned axes, log splitters utilize strength rather than speed to split wood both safely and effectively with much less effort. A log splitter works by ramming a wedge into a log, which then slowly splits it in half. Measured in tons, the greater the force of a log splitter, the harder and wider the logs it’s able to split.
Types of Best Log Splitters
There are three primary types of log splitters: manual, electric, and gas powered. Here’s the rundown on each type of log splitter to help you determine the best option for your budget and needs:
- Gas Log Splitters
Gas log splitters are the most powerful and offer the best splitting capacity, with many models providing in excess of 20 tons of splitting force. A number of gas log splitters can also be towed using a standard trailer hitch, making them ideal for both personal and commercial use. However, since they’re gas powered, proper ventilation is required for safe use.
- Electric Log Splitters
Electric log splitters are less costly than gas-powered models, but they also have less splitting capacity. Although they can be used safely indoors due to their zero emissions. They need to be near an electrical source, limiting their versatility in the field.
- Manual Log Splitters
Manual log splitters are more affordable than electric and gas-powered models, but they offer the least amount of splitting capacity. In fact, nearly all model max out at 15 tons. Despite having less splitting power, manual log splitters are lightweight, portable, and easy to transport. That being said, they also require more time and effort, making them less than ideal for frequent use.
- Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitters
Horizontal/vertical log splitters are typically gas-powered and offer maximum versatility. By removing a couple of pins; these flexible hybrid splitters allow you to convert the log bin from the standard horizontal position to a vertical one and split logs at ground level. Not only does this make it easier on your back, but it allows you to split larger logs as well.
Best Log Splitters Features
Log splitters come with a variety of features for added convenience and performance. The most important features to consider when shopping for a log splitter are:
- Log stand – Typically found on electric horizontal log splitters, log stands allow you to raise the splitter from ground level to eliminate bending and save your back.
- Adjustable log plate – Found on vertical log splitters, this nifty feature makes it easier to split logs of various sizes. While some models may offer more or less, most vertical splitters offer three adjustable positions.
- Shaped log cradle – Often found on horizontal log splitters, this feature provides added stability by keeping logs from rolling off while being split.
- Dual-speed – A traditional log splitter moves the splitting wedge towards logs at the exact same speed it splits the wood. A dual-speed or dual-action feature, on the other hand, speeds up the process by allowing the wedge to move towards logs faster; and then slow down when it’s ready to apply force and execute the splitting action.
- Emergency stop – On/off switches with emergency stop functions are added safety features found on a number of new log splitters.
- Log clamps – Some vertical and combination horizontal/vertical log splitters have clamps to keep logs securely in place during the splitting process. Some clamps provide a fixed grip, while others are adjustable to secure logs of different sizes.
- Control lever guards – This thoughtful safety feature helps protect your hands during the slitting process.
- Transport wheels and handle – Wheels are a must for transporting your log splitter from the wood pile to the garage, jobsite, or anywhere else. Some models come with small basic wheels, while others feature larger all-terrain tires for easy towing virtually anywhere. Meanwhile, a transport handle or hitch is also needed to help move a log splitter from one area to another.
- Rubber hand grips – This feature provides added comfort and combats fatigue by reducing the effects of the vibration generated by a log splitter when running. Rubber or sponge grips are especially important for gas log splitters, which generate greater vibrations during use.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Best Log Splitters / Best Wood Splitters
Before purchasing a log splitter, it’s important to think about how much splitting force you’ll need. The amount of force needed largely depends on the types of wood you plan on splitting and using. For example, maple logs require a minimum of 1,400 pounds of force. Certain hardwoods require even more. It’s also important to consider whether or not you plan on using green; or cured wood as cured or “seasoned” wood requires less force than wood that’s been freshly cut.
After deciding on the type of wood you’re likely to use, the next step is determining the size of the logs you plan on splitting. The wider and thicker the log, the more tons of force it will take to split. In addition to the diameter of the logs, the length of the logs also plays a factor. Since log splitters have different maximum stroke lengths, some are able to cut longer logs than others. Most log splitters have a maximum stroke length of 24 inches., but several gas models have longer stroke lengths for handling larger logs.
Hydraulic or Flywheel?
One of the most difficult decisions when choosing a log splitter is whether; or not to go with a hydraulic splitter or one with a flywheel. Hydraulic splitters utilize hydraulic pumps to gradually force the ram through and split the logs; while flywheel splitters use a pinion gear and flywheel system. Hydraulic log splitters take longer to complete a split. Flywheel splitters, on the hand, store energy created from the engine and allow users to discharge all of the energy at once via a handle and essentially split logs with a quick burst of force.
Towing and Storage
If you plan on moving your log splitter around and taking it with you to different locations, a towable log splitter is a must. The good news is, most quality log splitters are towable and feature a pin hitch, so they can easily be moved around a property. Some are even roadworthy and DOT approved, allowing them to be towed on public roads. This helps with storage as well.
A quality log splitter will become your best friend come October. In addition to saving your back and other muscles, it will save you valuable time as well and allow you to make short work of cord after cord of wood. When deciding on the best log splitter for you, consider your needs and all of the factors above. By doing so and reading our comprehensive reviews, you’ll be splitting wood easier than ever before in no time at all!